Whole Grain Oatmeal Raisin Chewy Granola Bars
I love chewy granola and cereal bars, but the commercial brands are loaded with sugar and not-so-wholesome ingredients. I've tried many different recipes for homemade granola bars, but nothing has met my standards until this.
I adapted this recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook that my mother gave me for Christmas. The original recipe used more sugar and pie filling. I replaced the pie filling with raisins (or cranberries), the excess sugar with honey.
Now, this is my favorite recipe for an on-the-go breakfast or snack.
- 1 Stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup whole cane sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup raisins, chocolate chips, or cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9x2 pan. Melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Stir until all of the dry ingredients are wet and a course mixture is formed.
- Transfer to the pan and press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden on the edges. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn!