Carrot Harvest Bread
We simply cannot harvest a huge bounty of organically grown sweet carrots without making a scrumptious bread loaded with big juicy mixed raisins and walnuts.
I have gone all out on this recipe to pack a punch of powerful healthy ingredients.
I used a non-gmo, unbleached and organic flour. I recently wrote a post about bad wheat glutens and their serious side effects from eating gmo wheat. The gluten's simply are not the same as those found in heirloom wheat and are causing a huge increase in glucose intolerance's with serious health effects.
I've also went the extra mile to cut out part of the flour by using flax seed, which gives your body an enormous amount of health benefits without the gluten.
Carrots are said to contain way more vitamins that your body can absorb when they are cooked. So in this recipe I've steamed them and even reserved the liquid for that extra carrot goodness.
When carrots are grown in your garden naturally and without the use of any chemicals, their taste is unmatched by any you would find in the supermarket.
For some tips and tricks for growing bigger and better carrots, please visit my Grandson and I during our recent winter carrot harvest.
On one last note before the recipe, I've also managed to cut sugar out of this bread as well. There are a couple of plant based sugars that will work well here. I used Xylitol, which has become my favorite. Stevia or honey could also be substituted instead of granulated refined sugars.
- ½ cup organic unsalted butter (softened)
- ¾ cup Xylitol (Ideal)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed steamed carrots
- 1 ½ cup organic unbleached flour
- ½ cup finely grounded flax seed
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/3 cup warm water (use liquid reserved from steaming carrots)
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground cinnamon
- ½ cup organic raisins
- ½ cup Walnuts
- Makes one loaf
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Steam carrots and let cool down a bit. Mash them with your mixer until fairly smooth. Set aside.
- Combine ½ cup softened butter, sugar and eggs and mix until well blended. Add the mashed carrots and beat them into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, flax seed, baking soda and cinnamon. Add this mixture to your batter along with the 1/3 cup of warm reserved liquid. Beat on medium until well combined.
- Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Lightly butter your loaf pan. I use a metal pan. Spoon in the batter and smooth out the top.
- Bake on 325 for about one hour. Test by inserting a toothpick. It is finished when it comes out clean.