Company Review: Purple Prairie Botanicals
I stumbled upon this company while searching for safe sunscreen at EWG's Skin Deep. Their product- Sun Stuff- was one of the highest rated sunscreens by EWG for safety and UV protection. Looking further into their products led me to their site where I found lotions, facial products, and even bug spray! Their prices were also very reasonable for organic, all-natural products.
I decided to create this review to hopefully give others an idea about their products and practices.
Company: Purple Prairie Botanicals
- Website- http://www.purpleprairie.com/
- Statement- “We offer a unique collection of quality personal care products for caring consumers seeking natural, organic and cruelty-free ingredient alternatives.”
What I ordered:
- Orange Teatree Clarifying Skin Toner 4 oz
- Carrot Rose Creme- Luxurious Facial Moisturizer 2 oz
- SunStuff SPF 30 100% Natural Sunscreeen, 9.5 oz
- Purple Prairie Natural Bug Spray 4.5 oz
The shipping time was very reasonable. I ordered the product on May 26 and received it June 2. One week is not bad, especially since it was over a long holiday weekend. The package was shipped USPS priority.
When I opened the box, the smell was delightful. It was strong, but not overpowering. Each item was wrapped in brown paper and packed very nicely to prevent spillage. The sunscreen and bug spray both came in plastic baggies.
I received a sample-size bar of the Gardener's Bar soap with my order.
There was no printed invoice but a little note stating their stance on reducing paper waste and contact information.
The products all had attractive packaging. Each item has a list of ingredients, directions for use, and storage instructions.
I love the fact that this company is dedicated to all-natural products. They offer a wide variety of items that I would use. I didn't see any hypoallergenic labeling so I can't say whether their products would be good for sensitive skin.
- Orange Teetree Toner– I used this when I got out of the shower as a cleanser. It is refreshing and gives a little tingle, but it does not dry your skin out. The orange oil gives this a wonderful aroma. So far, my skin has not had a reaction and my face feels great!
- Carrot Rose Creme– I have been looking for a natural facial cream that doesn't claim to “stop aging” or pump your body full of chemicals and vitamins. This cream was hard to get out of the pump at first, but after a stir and some finagling, it comes out smoothly. I use this as a night cream before bed. It is not greasy and the aroma is relaxing.
- SunStuff– This is the product that led me to Purple Prairie's website. After seeing its safety rating on EWG I was intrigued. 100% all natural sunscreen? You bet! This product has no harsh smell and is extremely mild. I used it on my 14 month old son today and we love it! You must apply every hour for lasting effectiveness like other sunscreens. The price was fantastic compared to similar organic sunscreens I researched. At right around $20 for 9.5 oz of product, it definitely gets my approval!
- Bug Spray– I haven't used this product yet as it was a purchase for my daughter to take to camp with her later in the summer. Both of us agree, however, that the spray smells awesome (lavender, eucalyptus, and rosemary among other things). My daughter is also excited that it is Deet free. She says that stuff stinks and makes her sick to her stomach. I tend to agree with her.
This is definitely a company I am going to be checking out further and purchasing from more in the future. They have a solid handle on the basics that make organic, natural products appealing to my family. Their fair prices, awesome commitment to the environment, and aromatic products are all big pluses in my book. If you get a chance, give this company a look.
Disclaimer- This article is based solely on my own opinion. I did not receive product or any other incentive from Purple Prairie Botanicals to write the above review.