How to Make Bone Broth
Bone broth is a staple food in my house, as it should be in any real food home (in my opinion). Because of its many health benefits, I recommend learning how to make your own bone broth as soon as possible. Don't be intimidated by it, because it's very easy to learn.
This superfood is very beneficial to overall health. It contains a high amount of antioxidants, vitamins, and several minerals, including calcium, silicon, sulfur, magnesium, glucosamine, phosphorus, and chondroitin sulfates. Bone broth also contains gelatin which is healing to the body and two important amino acids, proline and glycine.
Health Benefits of Bone Broth:
- Promotes digestive health
- Fights Inflammation
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation
- Promotes healthy hair and nail growth
- Promotes strong, healthy bones
- Protects against infection
Bone broth is extremely versatile in the kitchen. Since I've started making it, I never like to be without it. Here are just a few of the ways I use bone broth in my cooking…
Ideas for Using Bone Broth:
- Cook rice with bone broth instead of water
- Make a yummy gravy to pour over meat, potatoes, or vegetables
- Make easy and delicious soups: just cook veggies/rice/noodles in bone broth (and water if needed), add some cooked meat if desired, salt and pepper to taste and you're done.
With bone broth, it's easy to get your kids to eat vital nutrients!
Homemade Bone Broth
- 1 leftover chicken carcass OR equivalent in leftover meat bones beef, turkey, etc.
- 1 cup each of carrot celery, onion, roughly chopped (whatever you have on hand is fine)
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- Filtered water
- Place bones and vegetables in a large crockpot. Fill almost to the brim with filtered water. Add the vinegar and let sit for about 1 hour.
- Turn the crockpot on LOW and simmer for 8-10 hours. Allow to cool.
- Strain the liquid with a fine mesh strainer. Store in mason jars or another appropriate container. Bone broth will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks and in the freezer for several months.
Latest posts by Vanessa Pruitt (see all)
- Why Pickup Lines Don't Work (And What To Do Instead) - June 19, 2019
- How to Make Homemade Fruit Leather (Without a Dehydrator) - June 17, 2019
- 40 Plant Based Vegan BBQ Recipes for Every Summer Gathering - June 10, 2019