Easy Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
One of the great American comfort foods and a childhood favorite. Who doesn't love the taste of a good sloppy joe? These vegan lentil sloppy joes are just as hearty and delicious as the original. I promise you, they'll ‘hit the spot'.
I adapted this recipe from one that was passed down to me from my grandmother. In essence, aside from the lentils substituted for ground beef, these sloppy joes are an authentic midwest favorite.
Tips for Making Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
You only need one pan to make this ultimate vegan comfort food, which is a major plus in my book. Fewer pans required equals fewer dishes afterward! Also, this recipe only takes about 15 minutes to prepare, making it an excellent weeknight meal for the whole family.
Another major advantage of this recipe is that it keeps well in the refrigerator. That means you can whip up a batch ahead of time and heat it up later for a quick and healthy meal. Heat it up all at once for the family or keep it in the refrigerator for an easy lunch and dinner option all week long.
I love to top my sloppy joes with this easy vegan coleslaw recipe, but you can top yours with whatever you like.
Here are just a few sloppy joe topping/pairing ideas:
- Sliced onion
- Sliced tomato
- Lettuce (leaf or shredded)
- Vegan cheese
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Sliced avocado
- Vegan chips
This recipe is equally enjoyable for those who focus on a plant-based diet and those who don't. But the best part about this recipe is how packed full of nutrition it is.
Not only is it a decent source of protein (8.4g) and fiber (4.9g), it packs it's biggest nutritional punch being a significant source of iron, at a whopping 26% of your daily iron needs per serving.
This recipe is also naturally low in fat if that's something you're worried about. It contains just 0.9g of total fat and 0.2g for saturated fat per serving.
Easy Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
- (2) 15 oz cans lentils drained
- 1/2 cup frozen seasoning blend (onions celery, green & red peppers, parsley flakes) or 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup ketchup no sugar added
- 2 T Worcestershire
- 2 t powdered mustard
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t sugar
- 1 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 6-8 buns or rolls
- In a large frying pan, sautee (oil optional) the frozen seasoning blend or onion over medium heat until the moisture is mostly cooked off and the vegetables are soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add both cans of lentils to the pan and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Heat the sloppy joe mixture over medium-low to medium heat until it reaches your desired temperature for serving.
- Serve on your favorite vegan-friendly buns or rolls.
- * Alternatively, allow the sloppy joe mixture to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container until ready to heat and serve.
- How to Make a Virtual Play Therapy Room with Google Slides - January 24, 2022
- How to Use Sacred Cacao Ceremony for Self-Healing - May 1, 2021
- Nervous System Healing: 4 Therapies to Jumpstart Healing - April 25, 2021