24 Super Simple Soaked Grain Recipes
I have a confession to make. My family has been eating real foods for several years now, but I didn't learn about the importance of soaking grains until recently.
Why Soak Grains?
In short, soaking wheat in particular releases phytic acid and important enzymes that allow us to better digest the grains. Soaking grains is a traditional practice in cultures around the world.
Here is a good primer on why soaking grains is important by Cheeseslave.
My Experience Soaking Grains
I have experimented with sourdough and learned about soaking nuts and beans when we did the GAPS diet over one year ago. Then in the last few months I have been introduced to sprouted flour.
However, I have found that sourdough can take quite the commitment (one I don't have time to commit to with my busy schedule right now) and sprouted flour can either be time consuming or be a bit more expensive than our food budget can handle.
That's when I learned about soaking grains. But, I was skeptical at first. Anything new in cooking can seem like a lot of extra work, especially when you don't know what it entails. I was afraid that soaking grains for things we already make would be time-consuming and/or too complicated.
This post is in dedication to how easy I've found it can be. I hope you will try some of these recipes and find out for yourself just how easy soaking grains can be!
Plus, many of the soaked grain breakfast recipes are the easiest by far.
- Soaked Waffles by Live Simply
- Here's a Homemade Granola with Soaked Oats and Sprouted Flour by Cheeseslave
- And another Soaked Granola by Real Food Outlaws
- Baked Oatmeal by Nourished Kitchen
- Soaked Pancakes by Live Simply
- I love these Soaked Oatmeal Bars by Oh Lardy
Traditional Breads & Biscuits
If you think that making delicious, healthy homemade bread is hard. Think again. I've been baking bread for years and I found soaked whole wheat bread to be one of the easiest breads ever to make for my family.
Plus, who doesn't love biscuits? Wouldn't you love to eat them guilt free? You can now!
- Here's a basic Soaked Whole Wheat Bread Recipe from We Got Real
- Soaked Whole Wheat Biscuits from Live Simply
- Or try these Soaked Flour Buttermilk Biscuits from The Nourishing Cook
- One more: Buttery Whole Wheat Biscuits from The Elliott Homestead
Muffins and Quickbreads
Muffins and quickbreads are easy to soak because they normally don't require an exact consistency. They are easy to “throw” together when you need something for the next day.
- Try these Lemon Bread Muffins from The Nourishing Cook
- Soaked Banana Bread from Real Food Outlaws
- Having chili? Soaked Cornbread from Weed Em' and Reap is the way to go!
Cookies, Cakes, & Bars
Don't forget the sweet treats! You'll love these soaked cookie, cake, and bar recipes.
- Here's some yummy Soaked Oatmeal Cookies from Cheeseslave
- These Gluten Free and Dairy Free Brownies from Homemade Dutch Apple Pie look divine!
- Have a birthday coming up? Try this Yellow Butter Cake from Our Nourishing Roots
- I love these Soaked Oatmeal Bars from Homemade Mommy
Gluten Free Soaked Recipes
Need gluten free? No worries…
- Try Soaked Gluten Free Waffles by Homemade Dutch Apple Pie
- Or Gluten Free Buckwheat Apple Granola from A Harmony Healing
- Lemon Berry Oat Muffins (Gluten Free and Dairy Free) from We Got Real
Other Soaking Recipes
Here's a few other recipes and post on soaking you don't want to miss.
- Soaked Brown Rice Flour by My Gutsy
- Soaked and Roasted Peanuts and Peanut Butter by Whole Natural Life
- Homemade Soaked Pizza Crust by The Elliott Homestead
- Soaked And Dehydrated Almonds by Girl Meets Nourishment
Want more info about soaking grains and other traditional methods of preparing food? Read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.
What is your favorite soaked grain recipe?
- How to Use Sacred Cacao Ceremony for Self-Healing - May 1, 2021
- Nervous System Healing: 4 Therapies to Jumpstart Healing - April 25, 2021
- What is the Connection between Physical, Mental and Spiritual Health? - April 24, 2021