There are a few recipes I can think of that are as crowd-pleasing as banana bread. My family loves bananas, and I always save the overripe ones in my freezer. As soon as my freezer is overflowing with bananas, I do one thing.. make soaked banana bread!
I always make two loaves. Usually, one with nuts and one without because my family's love for nuts in banana bread is split 50/50.
If you think that soaked banana bread is harder to make than regular banana bread… it's not! It's quite easy and a great recipe for amateur and experienced bakers alike.
My favorite way to serve banana bread is slightly warm and slathered in real butter, but it's perfectly acceptable to serve at room temperature. And my favorite thing about this recipe is that it's just as good for dessert as it is for breakfast.
Want more soaked grain recipes? Try these: 24 Super Simple Soaked Grain Recipes
Soaked Banana Bread Recipe
Making soaked banana bread is just like making “regular” version, except for the extra soaking time. The easiest way to make it is to let it soak all day and bake the bread in the evening or let it soak all night and bake it in the morning.
Read the recipe for full instructions on soaking and baking. Enjoy!
- 2 glass or ceramic loaf pans (get them here)
- Wooden spoon (get it here)
- Silicone spatula (get it here)
- Large mixing bowl
Super Simple Soaked Banana Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour I used super fine ground whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp aluminum free baking powder get it here
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground ceylon cinnamon get it here
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ cups mashed ripe banana 5 medium
- 1 cup whole cane sugar or ½ cup honey and ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce or butter melted
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix the flour, eggs, banana, sugar, applesauce, and nuts if desired. Cover with a kitchen towel, secured with a rubber band, and soak for 8-12 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 loaf pans.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Divide the batter evenly into the loaf pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean. Let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, plain or with butter on top.